Phillips is proud to announce that we are the first distributor in the Pet Industry to be officially accredited through the Pet Sustainability Coalition (PSC).
Last year, Phillips announced its partnership with the PSC, Animal Supply Company and Pet Food Experts to accelerate sustainability in the Pet Industry. Over the course of the past year, our team has been working behind the scenes to achieve PSC Accreditation. Accreditation requires completing the SDG Action Manager, a widely-recognized sustainability assessment established by the UN Global Compact. Accredited companies must reach a minimum score on their assessment, then undergo a third-party verification of the assessment.
The Pet Sustainability Coalition (PSC) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a more sustainable pet industry. PSC works with companies throughout the entire supply chain — including distributors, manufacturers, retailers and suppliers — to advance business through profitable environmental and social practices. PSC helps its members implement sustainability via education, assessment tools, implementation support, accreditation, events, and more. They also actively work to transform our industry by tackling large scale issues that impact us all, including sustainable protein sourcing, sustainable packaging, and diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
Why is this Accreditation Important to Phillips and our Retail and Vendor Partners?
- 91% of pet industry professionals feel that consumer expectations for sustainable products are increasing:
- 89% of Americans think businesses should value people and planet as much as profit
- 90% of Millennials — the fastest growing demographic of pet parents — are willing to pay more for sustainable brands
- Brands that highlight sustainability in marketing see a 5% increase over non-sustainable products
- 79% of consumers say they would be more loyal to a purpose driven company
- PSC’s media and digital partnerships amplify our brand leadership and visibility with retailers, consumers, and B2B partners.
What’s next and how does this impact you?
Phillips has created an internal team of employees to lead the charge on Sustainability efforts across the entire organization. In just a short amount of time, the team has reported some significant impacts:
- Pallet Exchange Program: As a reminder, we are asking our retailers to return their wooden pallets to their Phillips driver. We understand that pallets can get in the way at your store due to their size and we want to relieve you of that burden. Additionally, by reusing the wood pallets we minimize the additional expenses which have continued to rise due to the shortage of wood.
- Energy Star Portfolio Manager: The goal is to reduce consumption on energy and water usage, decrease waste and increase recycling at all facilities and ultimately to have some of our DC’s Energy Star Certified.
- Transportation Re-Route Projects: We continuously monitor and improve routing to reduce miles driven/fuel consumption, while improving service to our customers.
- Red Flag Reporting: On July 1, 2022, we launched the Red Flag Reporting Hotline. This hotline ensures Phillips has a centralized and clear communication channel for any ethics or policy compliance concerns by all level in our organization. To ensure reports received may remain anonymous, we are engaging an external organization to host the hotline.
We will continue you to update you on our Sustainable efforts and encourage you to look at ways that you can help drive Sustainability in your own business.
Sustainability is not an initiative, it is a way of life.